Tips for Preschool Staff when helping young children to acquire english as an additional language:
- Ensure everyone feels welcome.
- Build your relationships with the child and their family.
- Make sure you are pronouncing the child’s name correctly.
- Help the child learn the names of staff and children.
- Learn Key Words in the Child’s Language.
- Ensure the child’s ethnic diversity is reflected in the Preschool environment, e.g. posters, toys, dolls, books.
- Be consistent in the language that you use.
- Group rhymes and songs are a great way to encourage confidence.
- Emphasis to parents the importance of maintaining their own language at home.
- Praise and encourage all attempts to communicate.
See also Play is the Universal Language.